april book club discussion

HAPPY LAST DAY OF APRIL!
can you even believe it?



So this month's book was Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

Okay, where to start...



So for me this book was a bit of a disappointment.

Hold on let me explain.
I initially listened to the audiobook, and I was really excited that the book was read by Sedaris when I downloaded it. I've read several David Sedaris books, and the reviews for this book were outstanding. So I was excited to download it and start listening to it. And I don't know if it was David Sedaris' voice or that what he sounded like didn't match what I was expecting... but it didn't work for me.
I think it might be like reading a book and then watching a movie where they cast all the wrong people who don't match up with how you imagined them at all.

Like I said, I have read several Sedaris books in college and was so excited to get this one. So I went into it with much higher expectations and was really bound to be disappointed on that point alone. It was much like when my mom finally let me go see Titanic and all I had heard all year in 5th grade was how amazing the movie was, and when I finally got to see it I just didn't see what the hype was all about.

So here I am just REALLY wanting to like this book. Like when you're favorite artist from high school comes out with a reunion album and you just want to like it SO BAD. But it's really... so bad.

Now I didn't think the whole book was terrible.
But the "Twelve Moments in the Life of an Artist" essay killed the whole flipping book for me.

Which is a shame beyond measure because it's the 4th essay in the dang thing.
My mom put the book down all together after that essay. "It started off strong but then lost momentum" she told me. And I had to agree. "It gets better!" I tried to explain... but she asked me to text my cousin for a book reference, clearly not trusting my recommendations anymore.

So I finished the audiobook and decided to go back and read the actual book (I'm telling you, I really wanted to like this book. this is no joke) and skipped the "Twelve Moments in the Life of an Artist" essay all together. Just straight pretended it didn't exist. And you know what? It was a much better book with the thing just not in there.

If you haven't read the book, it's a collection of memoir essays that are totally random and strung together under the umbrella of being all (loosely) about communication.

The second half of the book about living in France and struggling to learn the language, along with some outside view of Americans, were my favorite. Because you have to admit if you go to other countries and run into other Americans it's usually just about enough to make you regret being American all together.

This was my favorite:



So that's my thought on the book.



Any other ideas? I'm really interested to hear what others have to say. I'm split.

Comments

Popular Posts