individual pumpkin crisps (with a gluten free modification)


Like I said before, finding out I was allergic to gluten was pretty rough. This gets even harder when the holidays hit. Visions of pumpkin spice treats dance in my head through October and November. I get this weird urge to add cinnamon and nutmeg to everything. Today one of those urges hit. I needed something with pumpkin and I needed it now. So I came up with a gluten free pumpkin crisp recipe!

Gluten Free Pumpkin Crisp
crisp topping:
1 cup butter, cold
1 cup flour (if you're gluten free, use 1 cup of this gluten free flour blend)
1 cup oatmeal (not instant)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
(This makes waaaay more than you'll need for this recipe, but I like to keep some of this crisp in the freezer to have on hand. It is great to put over fruit pie fillings for a quick treat when you need one.)

Blend the dry ingredients together, then work the butter into the dry ingredients with your hands until crumbly. It shouldn't be smooth like cookie dough. I decided to add about 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped pecans to my crisp. You could also add almonds if you want to. Put the crisp topping in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it, if you let it get too soft it won't crumble correctly.



 Next, I made the pumpkin pie as directed on the side of the Libby's 100% pure pumpkin can. I poured the pumpkin pie filling about 2/3 of the way full into greased ramekins and put the ramekins on a cookie sheet and into the oven to bake as directed on the pumpkin puree can.

When the pumpkin pies were done cooking, I took them out of the oven and crumbled the crisp topping over the top. The pies went back into the oven on broil until the crisp topping was browned and starts to bubble. Watch close because this only takes a couple of minutes!

Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!xo

Comments

Popular Posts