may book club discussion


How is it the end of the month? Okay, I know I say that every month but really, May has been extra speedy and I totally didn't realize it was the last day of the month until my computer calendar reminded me and I had a small scale panic attack. Usually I'm way more prepared for book club discussion, but here we are. Almost 10:30 at night and I'm just now putting my thoughts down.

Plus, it was the day full of high school graduation parties so me and my computer were very much not spending much time in the same room today. Which is pretty awesome! The weather was beautiful and the company was fantastic. Just wish I would have been a little bit more prepared for this! But am I really ever prepared for anything lately? hashtag no.

SO THIS BOOK YOU GUYS

I finished it about 3 days into the month.

It's been a really long time since I've been totally and completely moved by a book in the way this book affected me.
I really don't want to give too much away. Usually I would say "spoiler alert: don't read past if you plan to read this book" but really I don't even feel like I want to do that with this particular book. I just want you all to experience this book for yourself. And yes, this book is an experience. I have a long-standing reputation of being dramatic with these sorts of things, but I promise you the money in my piggy bank that this book is worth your time.

It's a young adult novel and it's labeled as science fiction, but don't hold that against it.

The best part of the book is that it feels like the book starts in the middle of the story. The narrator is talking to the reader as if she knows exactly what she's talking about, but there are big parts of the story revealed throughout. These twists are INTENSE. IN-FRICKEN-TENSE.

I just know that throughout the book I kept having that experience where something was revealed and I just looked around like, "can you even believe it?!" and nobody was around to experience this intense roller coaster of a book with me.

Also, I really enjoy a book that has me asking questions, really huge philosophical questions that kind of tear your insides apart to think about it. Questions that make you think really hard about the human race and peoples' relationships with each other and what makes a person have a soul or be a worthwhile human with rights.

Just read it, gosh dangit. You'll thank me.


And those of you who did read it, are you freaking out as much as me right now?


It's also come to my attention that there was a movie made a couple years ago based on the book (!!). But here's my deal with movies that were based on books that I had emotional reactions to (re: The Fault in Our Stars, The Perks of Being a Wallflower). I get really nervous about how I will react to visual representations of things. I am basically a blubbering mess throughout the book and figure I will either be a blubbering mess through the movie or the movie will just ruin the whole experience for me. (Insert either a whole line of open mouth cry emojis or a whole like of straight face emojis here.)

And I think books like that, books that change you, are so different for everyone that I can't see a director and a cast getting it "right" the way that it was "right" in my head. Does that make any sense at all? Yeah, probably not.

But here is the movie trailer, if you feel so inclined.

Comments

Popular Posts