oatmeal breakfast clusters



The recipe that I adapted these breakfast clusters from named them "guilt free cookies". 

...but if something doesn't have sugar and about a stick of butter... then sister, it ain't a cookie in my book. It qualifies as appropriate breakfast food. So I tweaked the recipe and then gave them to a certain one-year-old who let out a big "mmmm!" and that, my friend, is enough for me to say I knocked it out of the park on the breakfast clusters. Two thumbs up, five stars, all that good stuff. 

And personally I really don't like breakfast. 
I know this goes against all the rules of being a good, healthy human being. But it's the truth. I just have a hard time fitting breakfast into my day. And I don't like feeling overly full first thing in the morning. I love breakfast foods, you see. Just don't like eating them at breakfast time. So these are perfect for grabbing on my way out the door and eating while I'm driving to work. 

Plus, since it's no secret that I'm anti-domestic in every way... you know if I make something it's got to be brainless. Zero room for error. 

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner.
So without further ado, here's how it's done.

Oatmeal Breakfast Clusters
2 large ripe bananas
2/3 cups applesauce
2 cups oats
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup dried cranberries (I used the Trader Joe's orange-flavored dried cranberries)
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Combine bananas, applesauce, milk and cinnamon with a hand mixer. Fold in oats, cranberries and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. The mixture will be thick. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.


There you have it. I'm telling you. Easy as cake (you know what... easier than cake). The beauty of this recipe is it really is fool-proof. You can add whatever add-ins sound good or whatever you have on hand. I just happened to use dried cranberries and chocolate chips this time. Just make sure whatever you decide to use adds up to 1/2 cup and you should be golden. Next time I'm going to try adding almonds (because I'm so wild). 

Now go bake... you little homemaker, you.


Comments

Popular Posts